Macaroni and cheese is the go-to dish mothers or anyone on the go can easily whip up for dinner. Both kids and adults love it and it is very easy to make. Anyone can actually do the mac and cheese staple but then again, you can do something different to give it by giving it a twist like smothering it with glorious cheese that you could serve even on romantic date nights.
One variation that has caught the fancy of many is by adding shrimp to this famous recipe and using three kinds of cheese, thus the name three-cheese shrimp pasta.
You would need:
- 12 ounces of macaroni or penne
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, heated
- A dash of salt
- White pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 cup grated Fontina
- 1 cup frated Gruyere
- 1 cup grated parmesan plus ¼ cup for topping
- ¼ cup parsley
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cook your pasta according to package directions. In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and cook and stir it constantly for about two minutes. Add in hot milk and whisk constantly until sauce is thickened.
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Add in the cheese and pesto, then add the pasta and shrimp and mix. No need to wait for the cheese to melt. Just make sure you mix the ingredients well. The trick to this recipe is the right kind of cheese so make sure you get
- Take it off the heat and place it in a baking dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and top it with the rest of the Parmesan.
- Melt the remaining butter and drizzle it on top. Place it in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the sauce bubbles.
- Finish it off with parsley and it is ready to serve.